Who needs a VA 10-3542 form?
This form is used by the eligible veterans and beneficiaries (the eligibility is determined in the instructions) to receive a compensation of travel expenses. For example, if the veterans go to a VA health care facility, they have the right to return the money they spent during the traveling.
What is the VA 10-3542 form for?
This form is a claim for reimbursement of travel expenses. The information provided is used to determine eligibility for travel benefits and services. If eligible, the claim will be processed for payment and the veterans will receive the money back.
Which documents do support the VA 10-3542 form?
In case the applicant wants the reimbursement of non-mileage expenses (parking, bridge, road and tunnel tolls, meals, lodging) he/she has to provide the corresponding receipts.
When is the VA 10-3542 form due?
The claimant must complete the form within 30 days of travel.
How long does it take to fill the form out?
The estimated time of completing the form is 15 minutes. The filler has to provide the following information:
- Name of the claimant, SSN, date of birth
- Claimant’s status (veteran, caregiver, attendant, donor)
- Veteran’s name, SSN, date of birth (if the claimant and the veteran are different people)
- Information about the travel (addresses of start and end points of the travel; date when the trip begins and ends; mean of transport)
- If the claimant claims the reimbursement of expenses other than mileage, he/she should itemize them and provide the receipt for each expense
- The form must also contain the name and address of the treating facility of the veteran.
The claimant should sign and date the form.
What do I do with the form after its completion?
The completed and signed form is sent to the VA health care facility for further consideration. The claim may also be done in person.